Clockwork Nessie will return tomorrow.
I’m sorry my blog has been offline. I did all I could to keep it online, but it didn’t matter.
My blog has been subjected to brute force hacker attacks for the past two weeks at least. For the second time in a week, my server host has pulled my website offline, not because my blogs were hacked but because all the attempts on more than just my blog were using up too many of their resources. We’re talking around 100,000 WordPress (dot org not dot com) sites targeted with as many different IP addresses.
So if you’re here, it’s because I’ve gone in and redirected my domain back to my old free version of WordPress (which is looking better and better). Prior visitors, your comments are my self-hosted version. I didn’t delete them, but I hadn’t backed them up to restore here.
If you’re interested in learning more about brute force attacks and what you can do to protect yourself if you have a self-hosted WordPress blog, here is an article about it. Hopefully I’m back at my old home soon. Older blog posts are from a backup I made after I wrote all my A to Z Challenge posts. Another tip: backup your blog FREQUENTLY!
- Major brute force attack against WordPress underway (siliconrepublic.com)
- Massive brute force attack against WordPress underway (siliconrepublic.com)
- Massive Brute Force attack Targets thousands of WordPress sites worldwide (riseandwise.wordpress.com)
- Patching the Internet in Realtime: Fixing the Current WordPress Brute Force Attack (cloudflare.com)
- WordPress Sites Under Wide-Scale Brute Force Attack (it.slashdot.org)